PEOPLES CONGRESS (JSPC)
Jigawa State People’s Congress (JSPC) as the name implies is a Peoples’ non Partisan organization established to engage various stakeholders of Civil Societies within the State in developing a creative mechanism for consultation and citizens’ participation in decision-making. Furthermore, it serves as a forum for articulating the voice of citizens (Advocacy) in collaboration with responsive Governmental and Non Governmental (NGO) organization to address the critical issues about the needs yearnings and aspiration of the masses for good governance. In another development, the organization is now bearing as “Office of the Special Assistant on NGOs Matters” articulating NGOs activities and capacity building.
MISSION OF THE ORGANIZATION:-
JSPC is a non formal organization, committed to the effective Utilization of human and natural resources in the State with a view to making our People self reliant so as to rise above the poverty line.
VISION OF THE ORGANIZATION:-
JSPC is “Committed to the attainment of fully developed and self reliant state capable of sustainable resource utilization and well informed society ready and capable of full participation in development and decision - making.
TYPE OF PROGRAMS RENDERED:-
I. NGOs/CBOs Capacity Building
II. Gender and Community Empowerment
III. Information Education and Communication (IEC)
IV. Policy Advocacy and Good Governance.
1. Effective mediating Government, Non Governmental Organization and Community Based Organization (NGOs/CBOs) interaction and consultation on grass root developmental issues.
2. Enhancing responsive Information flow between Government and Governed.
3. Enhance ownership and maintenance of community based initiative in the state.
4. Mobilizing communities to participate in developmental issues and decision-making from an equitable gender perspective.
5. Linking NGO/CBO with National and International development partners for collaboration.
Names of Principal Staff
Special Assistant NGOs Matters
Admin & Finance
Research/Planning and Doc.
Public Information and Enlightenment
NGOs/ CBOs Coordinator
Aliyu Haruna Aji
Umar Farouk Wada
Ibrahim B. Mohd
Dauda Mohd Hadejia
Mohd Saudi Shehu
Nine Zonal Congress offices namely are:
K/Kasamma, M/Madori, Taura, Babura, Kazaure, Gumel, Sara, Auyo and Kiyawa
ACHIEVEMENTS:- (29th May 2007 – date)
The achievements recorded under the present Administration were as follows:-
1. Developed and aired a radio Jingles on NGOs/CBOs and Youth empowerment at FM Andaza and Radio Freedom
2. Participated in a 5days Participatory Techniques Training Workshop at Centre of Management Development (CMD) Shangisha, Lagos organized by SLGP. Sept 2007
3. March 2008 JSPC in collaboration with State Independence Electorate Commission (SIEC), sensitized the Rural populace against Election violence. The theme of the campaign was “Say no to Election violence”, which IEC materials such as posters stickers were produced and distributed across the state and 30 days slots of radio jingles were sponsored at FM Andaza. In addition, embarked on Local Government tour and Mets with the relevant stakeholders on the subject. Verily a hitch free and fair election was conducted across the local government areas.
4. Organized and conducted a Workshop for NGOs/CBOs and DPRS of all the LGAs on the impact of NEEDS, SEEDS and LEEDS for sustainable development. The Workshop was funded by State Government in conjunction with Budget and Economic Planning Directorate.
5. Undertook 50 communities for mobilization campaign on Behaviour Change Communication (BCC), Community Engagement on Priority Health issues, in collaboration with State Health Communication Group (SHCG) supported by PATHS, DFID programme.
6. Undergoing on EMC training on Safe Motherhood Initiatives Demand creation (SMI-D) , State Ministry of Women Affairs programme supported by MDGs.
7. In collaboration with Special Assistant Student Affairs, we conducted a day NGOs/CBOs Youth Summit titled “Educational Development and Moral Decadence” .
8. Currently participating in the ongoing Rights Awareness Campaign an NGOs Coalition, supported by the former Security Justice and Growth
9. Advocating Government policies and programme to the grass root populace through Community Information, Education and Communication (CIEC) programme.
10. Sponsored Radio jingles during EID EL-FITR Sallah festival by informing the populace on the dividend of democracy so far achieved by the present Administration.
11. Engaging in various committees for community mobilizations and empowerment programmes both local and international.
12. Organized Mobilization campaign on Malaria Control and Environmental Sanitation via (Sensitization Workshop, Radio Jingles and programme
CONTACT: JIGAWA STATE PEOPLES CONGRESS (JSPC)
ANDAZA, KIYAWA ROAD.