RURAL WATER SUPPLY AND SANITATION AGENCY (RUWASA)
Jigawa State Rural Water and supply agency came into existence in December, 1991 Law of 2000 that established the Agency was formally signed by the Executive (civilian) Governor in Feb. 2000.
The ministry of Rural, Infrastructure and community development is responsible for policy formulation of Agency.
The Agency is a corporate body perpetual succession and common seal that have power to in its corporate name. The primary assignment of the Agency is the supply of safe and qualitative drinking water to the rural populace through hand operated borehole and hand dug wells as mobilizing and sensitizing the rural communities towards improved environmental sanitation, hygiene education promotion and practice.
The structure of the Agency has body of Board members at its apex, led by a Chairman with four other members drawn from relative fields and the community representative. The Board oversees the overall function of the Agency. Where a Board is not in place the Agency reports to the government through the Commissioner Ministry of Rural Infrastructure and Community development.
There exist an office of the Managing Director reporting to the Board or the Hon. Commissioner and who is responsible for general administration and Assistant General Manager (AGM) under him and heading the Agency’s 3 major division of water sanitation, Administration and Finance and Planning and Community Mobilization. There also exist 5 Zonal offices at each of the Emirates headquarters of the state.
The Agency also maintains a lateral relationship with other stakeholder such as, Ministry for Local Government, Ministry for Health, PHC Agency, Ministry for Basic Education, Ministry of Women Affairs and the 27 respective LGAs in the State.
The Agency presently has strength of 82 officers consisting of Engineers, Technical Officers, Workers Superintendents, Accountants, Administrative staff, Driller, Community Mobilization Officers, Sanitation and Hygiene promotion officers, Craftsmen, Laborers and Watchmen
Its headquarters is presently located in Shuwarin Dutse.
Have improved water and sanitation service delivery.
Increase coverage of water supply and sanitation facilities in the rural areas of the State.
Ensure a more qualitative of water supply and sanitation in the State
Facilities sanitary through hygiene education promotion and practice and community mobilization and sensitization
1. Raise percentage of water supply and sanitation access
2. Achieve behavioral change among real populace
3. Promote community participation and ownership for sustainability
1. Supply of drinking water to the rural communities through hand operated boreholes and hand dug – wells
2. Provision of sanitation facilities (household latrines in rural communities and VIP Latrines in schools and Public places).
3. Mobilization and sanitization of rural communities on sanitation improvement, hygiene promotion, education and practice.
4. Project planning, monitoring and evaluation.
COLLABORATION WITH DONOR SUPPORT AGENCIES
The agency is presently receiving support on water and sanitation activities in the rural areas from the following international donor agencies.
1. FGN/UNICEF on rural and sanitation activities 2002 – date
2. FGN/DFID/UNICEF/WATER AID on rural water supply and sanitation activities 2003 – date
3. FGN/EU/UNICEF on rural water and sanitation activities 2006 – date
The creation of Rural Water Supply and sanitation Agency (RUWASA) nationwide was in compliance with the National Water supply and Sanitation Policy document of January, 2000. This became necessary for the fact that in spite of the efforts by various governments at all levels the water supply and sanitation coverage in the country appears to be decreasing and deteriorating leaving about 70% of the rural populace without access to safe water supply or adequate sanitation towards a systematic development of the rural areas over a defined period of time.
1. Abbas Adamu Taura Managing Director
2. Musa Maidugu AGM Operation
3. Sabo Haliu AGM Admin and Finance
4. Ahmed H. Marke AGM Planning and Community Mobilization
5. Hassan Aliyu Manager Finance
6. Ibrahim Ayuba Manager Operation
7. Hassan Hassan Manager Planning
8. Muhammad Karo Usman Manager Admin
Contact information: Shuwarin Dutse, Jigawa State.
E-Mail Address: email@example.com