MINISTRY OF JUSTICE
To work together as a team towards the attainment of a fair and just society that upholds the rule of law by ensuring quick, effective and affordable legal services to all irrespective of class, status, gender or age.
A system of Justice that is fair and easily accessible to all, taking into account the interest and needs of the weak and disadvantaged groups. A system that respects human dignity/responds to the challenges of time and meets the aspirations of society devoid of oppression, inequity, favouritism and discrimination.
1. To improve dispensation of justice through decentralization of the State Counsel to Divisional High Courts for effective prosecution of cases.
2. To improve co-ordination among all stakeholders involved in the delivery of justice, especially the Police, Prison Service, Legal Aid Council and the Courts.
3. To ensure that all Ministry of Justice staff are competent; effective and have access to the information they need to perform their duties.
4. To develop an effective system for the management of human, financial, material and information resources.
5. To evolve and implement an effective process that will encourage witnesses to attend courts.
1) Advising Government on all legal matters affecting the State.
2) Prosecute State cases both civil and criminal.
3) Defending government or any of its agencies/departments.
4) Drafting, vetting and advising government or any of its agencies/departments on matters relating to legislation or contracts.
5) Giving free legal services to the less privileged indigenes of the State through the Community Law Centers.
- SOLICITOR-GENERAL/PERMANENT SECRETARY :
- PUBLIC PROSECUTION DEPARTMENT: HEAD: SULEH UMAR
- CIVIL LITIGATION DEPARTMENT: HEAD: ALHAJI HUSSAINI MAGAMA
- LEGAL DRAFTING DEPARTMENT: HEAD: M. A. TAHIR
- CITIZEN’S RIGHTS DEPARTMENT: HEAD: MUSA M. IMAM
- PLANNING, RESEARCH AND STATISTICS DEPARTMENT:HEAD: HAUWA ZAKAR (MRS)
FUNCTIONS AND DEPARTMENTS
1. Public Prosecution Department
a) Proffering legal advice to the Police
b) Drafting and filing criminal charges
c) Prosecution of criminal cases
d) Taking over criminal cases from Police, other organizations and individuals.
2. Civil Litigation Department
a) Providing legal representation to the State Government or any of its agencies or departments.
b) Advising State, Local Governments and their Agencies or department in respect of all civil matters
3. Legal Drafting Department
a) Drafting statutes or contractual agreements involving the State, Local Governments, or their departments or agencies.
b) Vetting government contracts and advising government as appropriate in respect of all contract agreements.
4. Citizen’s Rights Department
a) Providing free legal services to the less privileged citizens of the State through the Community Law Centers viz:
i) proffering legal advice
ii) Mediation and reconciliation
iii) Providing legal representation
5. Planning, Research and Statistics Department -
a) Responsible for conducting research on the operation of the Ministry with a view to develop future plans for improvement so as to enhance the services being rendered by the Ministry in General.
b) It collates statistical data and keeps all records of files for easy access.
c) It organizes and/or proposes for training of staff to attend seminars, conferences, workshops and courses.
d) It manages the Ministry’s Library and keeps record of all Library Books.
6. Administration and Finance Department -
a) Responsible for day to day administration of the Ministry and the general management of its financial activities.
b) Responsible for staff recruitment, promotion and general welfare.
Ø Establishment of six Community Law Centres to provide free legal services to indigenes
Ø State Laws Review project being updated, amended, reviewed, revised, repealed to conform to the present realities of the society.
CONTACT: MINISTRY OF JUSTICE,
3RD FLOOR NEW STATE SECRETARIAT,
TAKUR, P.M.B. 7052, DUTSE.