MINISTRY OF WOMEN AFFAIRS AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT
Responsible for the Formulation and implementation of public policies that have direct bearing on life enhancement and well-being of the citizens, more especially the most vulnerable groups in the society i.e. Women, Children, aged people, people living with disabilities, destitute and the less privileged generally.
To have an enabling environment where the rights to survival, protection and development of the people, more especially the most vulnerable groups, including their empowerment to participate in, and benefit from the socio-economic development process.
To work in collaboration with relevant stakeholders towards ensuring gender mainstreaming in policy formulation, planning and budgeting process especially in the critical areas of concern, such as Health, Education, Agriculture, Commerce, Water supply and sanitation. This is with a view to ensuring the rights to survival, protection, development and participation of the vulnerable groups i.e. women, children, aged people, people living with disabilities, destitutes and the less privileged generally, with the aim attaining of the Millennium development Goals (MDGS).
· Coordinating women development programmes in the state.
· Integrated approach to ensure the rights to the survival, protection, development and empowerment of women, children, aged people, people living with disabilities, destitutes and the less privileged.
· Capacity building of women through skill acquisition centres located in all the Local Government Areas and to facilitate access to micro-credit loan facilities.
· Encouraging gender development by ensuring women representation in decision making processes.
· Engage in mobilization activities toward increase of women participation in partisan politics in the most dignified manner.
· Facilitating women economic empowerment, such as micro-credit, soft grant and small scale entrepreneurship.
· Community sensitization on the ways of reducing maternal mortality rate (MMR) in the state through the Safe Motherhood Initiative programme Demand-Side (SMI-D).
· To facilitate the enhancement of Girl-child education in the state.
· Facilitate the implementation of policies that address issues like gender disparity in school enrollment, orphans and vulnerable children (OVC), children nutrition status, immunization against childhood killer diseases, child rights act and domestic violence.
· Promoting recreational facilities for children.
· Engage in settlement of matrimonial disputes among couples and engage in counseling of parents of delinquent children through the Area Social Welfare Offices located in some parts of the state.
· Provide out of court settlement of disputes through Community Law Centers located in Dutse and Sule Tankarkar.
· Manage a centre for Vesico Vaginal Fistulae (VVF) patients at Jahun.
· Manage a correctional institution for young offenders at Kafin Hausa reformatory School.
· Provide direct support to displaced or lost but found persons/refugees and undertake their repatriation where necessary.
· Provide support to patients who are less privileged to access social and medical services through the medical social welfare service units located in health facilities in the state.
· Encourage people living with disabilities towards skill acquisition, and support them in becoming more organized through their traditional leaders and associations to enable them live a better life with respect and dignity.
· Ensuring the effective utilization of alternative energy sources through the provision of modern but locally produced devices.
· Centre piece of all women related activities and programmes through liaison with other agencies within and outside the state including close collaboration with development partners.
1) PERMANENT SECRETARY:
2) DIRECTOR: ADMINISTRATION AND FINANCE: ALHAJI ADAMU ABDULLAHI
3) DIRECTOR: WOMEN AFFAIRS: HAJIYA KHADIJA ALI AHMED
4) DIRECTOR: CHILD DEVELOPMENT: HAJIYA AMINA MAIKUSURWA
5) DIRECTOR: SOCIAL WELFARE: ALHAJI IBRAHIM RABAKAYA ABUBAKAR
6) DIRECTOR: PLANNING, RESEARCH AND STATISTICS: ALHAJI MOHAMMED MUSA HADEJIA
DEPARTMENTS & FUNCTIONS:
Department of Administration and Finance: - The department is charged with the responsibility of administrative and financial matters.
1. It is to ensure the proper maintenance of cash books together with reconciliation of statements
2. Ensure that all charges to vote or account are authorized and fully supported with relevant documents,
3. To ensure compliance with financial regulations
4. Ensuring strict adherence to civil service rules .
Department of Women Affairs:
1. It provides services and programmes for the general empowerment and development of women.
2. It is also concerned with the social, political and economic development of women in the society. It is interesting to note that the department’s interaction and intermingling with various women groups and communities increases their level of awareness which enable them to participate in government programmes and activities which enhances their development.
3. The department is co-ordinating the Safe Motherhood Initiative Demand side (SMI-D) programme which is designed to reduce the maternal mortality rate (MMR) through demand creation and community engagement processes, using Emergency maternal care volunteer groups (EMC Teams) Emergency Transport Drivers Scheme, Blood Donor Groups and Emergency Maternal Saving Scheme.
Department of Child Development: -
1. It deals with the survival, protection and participation of children in line with their rights as contained in the Convention of the Rights of Children (CRC),
2. The development of Girl-Child Education
3. Coordinating programmes that concern orphans and vulnerable children (OVC)
Department of Social Welfare:-
1. The department provides services to individuals and groups to achieve satisfying standards of life and health, and personal and social relationships which permit them to develop their full capacities and to promote their well – being in harmony according to their needs.
The services rendered include settlement of matrimonial disputes among couples, counseling and corrections, care of the elderly, Rehabilitation services to people living with disabilities and the less privileged in the society, and also provision of medical social welfare services.
Department of Planning, Research and Statistics: -
The Department is the nerve centre of the ministry.
1. It is responsible for coordinating, monitoring, supervising and evaluating performance and planning activities of the respective departments.
2. It formulates and reviews the development policy on research planning Initiating all development plans
3. Ensuring the proper implementation of projects.
4. It collects, collate, documents and disseminate statistical data,
5. Collecting and collating quarterly and annual reports of the various departments and other reports.
6. Keeping up to date records, reports: bulleting, pamphlets and publications in the data bank
7. Preparation of annual budget estimates and defenses and to ensure transparency in its execution.
MINISTRY OF WOMEN AFFAIRS AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT,
OFF BYPASS ROD DUTSE.